Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Excel Project

This project was very interesting and challenging.  It was about a fitness center, in where you were supposed to help the gym’s owner in researching the effectiveness of a particular workout. Your main tool was an Excel’s spreadsheet that had data for 500 subjects. The data basically contained age, sex, and 21 heart rate measurements for a period of 20 minutes (starting from time 0:00 to time 20:00). Once, that we had an idea of what the project was about, it was time to start formatting and manipulating the data. First, we were asked to name the spreadsheet “Raw Data” and make the first 2 rows bold, and center the gender column.  So far, everything was pretty easy because it was basic stuff that we learn in middle school. But, when I was asked to use the “Freeze Panes” to lock the first 2 rows, I got stuck; this step required me to do a little bit of research to figure it out. I believe this feature is very useful, mostly when you want to print out balances, data, and so on. After I finished formatting the raw data, it was time for me to start working with formulas. 

This part of the project made me recall when I was a middle school student. It was time to refresh my memory and start working on the formulas. The first formula was easy; we were asked to figure out the “maximum heart rate”.  Then, we needed to figure out the “Target Rate”; for this step I applied the first formula and multiply it by the percentage given. This step was easy as well.  Next step, figure out “Target Achieved”, was a little more difficult to interpret. The formula itself was simple, but I took me a while to understand the question .In this case, I applied my analytical skills. Once, I understood the question, I went over my Scavenger Excel assignment to solve this step. Determining the” Heart Rate Increase” was simple because we were given a hint. We, basically, needed to change the number to percentage. After I finished with the manipulation, I formatted the spreadsheet so when I print it out; it came out in a certain way. I added some headers and footers (to the right and left). I also changed size of the text. Basically, steps mentioned above pertained to the easy section.

The challenging part started with the pivot tables (See figure). In order for me to solve the last steps, I had to watch some videos, which were very helpful. In the past, I had not used pivot table for anything, but I believe this feature of excel could be very useful. Excel and Word are software that I have with for many years, but I have realized that I still don’t know some features of these ones. Doing this project has helped me to become a little more knowledgeable of Excel.  During this project, I learned analytical skills that help to interpret the situation or problem very well; problem- solving skills; technical skills which are very useful in business; organizational skills; and computer skills.
























No comments:

Post a Comment