Sunday, March 6, 2011

Project WEB 2.0: "St.Jude Children's Hospital"

This project, Web 2.0, has been one of the most frustrating ones in my entire life, starting from the storyboard to putting together the information, and uploading the video. I chose scenario 3, which was for non- profit organizations; St. Jude Children’s Hospital was my topic. I decided to use Windows Movie Maker instead of Power Point Presentation. I feel very comfortable working with both of them, but I felt that Windows Movie Maker would be more useful for this situation. WMM allows you customize almost everything according to your convenience. I have always liked working with pictures and stuff, but I need to confess that the hardest part was to collect all the information with logical flow into one video, but I think patient, besides my skills, was my main tool. I learned a lot by watching videos at youtube.com, specially the storyboard. To create my storyboard I used paint, and it was mission; but paint allowed me to organize and transmit my plan. I, then, had to change the order of slides, and add a couple of slides.

I believe people don’t like to see long presentations so I made it mine short, may be a little short, but, I think, it was good enough to persuade people to donate. Since my presentation was short I could not anticipate many questions; just two which have given sense to the whole presentation. I made these questions at the beginning of the presentation in order to grab audience’s attention, and, therefore, spark curiosity. I was trying to make a longer explanation with a little history of the St. Jude Children’s hospital, but, then, I realized that that wasn’t going to cause any effect in people’s mind and attitude towards donations. I also presented some statistics about people with cancer, and I think these numbers have done some kind of impact on people’s feelings because basically that is my goal (to make audience helping this organization, St. Jude). As I previously mentioned, my presentation was short which helped me to avoid clutter. Besides, I tried to be as organized as possible, clear, and concise. In order to make my presentation readable I just placed one picture per slide, and wrote some important words, most of the information was verbally expressed. Before submitting my presentation, I revised the spelling of every word in order to avoid any typo errors (I thought I did not have any typo, but someone noticed a typo, so I then revised it , and uploaded the video again)

As Professor Means says, sometimes the best way to learn is by teaching others; and seeing people’s mistakes helps you to see your own errors. Watching someone else’s presentations facilitate me to make some revisions on my project and give me new ideas. Sometimes, it is easier to perceive others mistakes than yours. Definitely, critiquing others’ work makes you learn more.

Working on this project, WEB 2.0, has helped to become a little more knowledgeable about computers. I believe I still need to learn a lot more, but, at least, I have an idea of how to start a presentation. Definitely, you need to be creative and have the correct tools such as, microphone, computer, etc. Nowadays, presentations are playing a very important role at school and at work as well. At work, you need to be more accurate and concise. A business person needs to be able to transmit their message in a clear way through a presentation; not all positions will require you to make a presentation, but some will.

I invite you to watch my presentation: CLICK HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment